Friday, 16 September 2016

A trip to the seaside




Larry and I have been to the seaside, dipping our toes in the briny water and breathing in that lovely salty air. It did us good! I don't know about you, but a few days away is so invigorating, I don't know why we don't do it more often!

What you see above is the North Sea on a misty morning in Kessingland on the east coast of England. It could well be the most easterly point of Britain now because the sea has been depositing more and more sand on this shore and could well be usurping Lowestoft as our most eastery point. There are many places on the east coast which have suffered from erosion recently, but not this one. It took us a good ten minutes to walk down to this point from the promenade.  Maran grass has been planted to hold and fix the sandy shores and it has become a very popular place for dog walkers.

I have been coming to this beach for many years, since the early 80's in fact and in those days the sea came right up to the promenade at night when the tide was in. Now you can't even hear the sea from the promenade.

This is the view looking back to the houses and pubs, which used to be right near the sea-line.


It began to drizzle with rain after a while so we headed back to The Sailors' Home pub, but when we got there, it was still closed for cleaning purposes, so we headed further into the village to find a coffee shop.


This is an old picture of Beach Road, in past times, but it has still retained its character and doesn't look much different now.


We had coffee and a welcome sit down in a pretty little cafe at the end of Beach Road and then caught the bus back to Lowestoft.

I just love this place!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh lucky ducks !
    I am longing for a trip to the seaside, I'd be happy just breathing in that salty sea air and dipping my toes in that warm sea water. As you are aware, Tennessee is a landlocked state, plenty of lovely lakes, but at least an eight hour drive to any body of salt water....
    My husband's brother called today, I asked him where he was, the reply, "sitting on the sand, with my toes in the ocean", and he just had to rub it in :)
    Looks like you and Larry had a lovely day, did you take your bucket and spades ?
    "Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside ".......
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful read. I never thought I'd miss England but lately I have, very much. It seems so civilized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful read. I never thought I'd miss England but lately I have, very much. It seems so civilized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds delightful. (I hope this posts -- so often my comments bounce back to me.)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please don't be shy.