Sunday, 1 March 2015

My English Garden - 1st March 2015


At last we're out of February and into March. I'm ready for some warmer weather. My shed is looking forward to a new year although already I've had a disaster in there! The beautiful medium sized geraniums I put in there at the start of the winter have all died! They got some sort of fungus on them and soon had to be chucked out. I do hope it wasn't anything in the shed although I don't see how it could be because the shed was brand new. Still the fact remains that the geraniums are no more I am sad at their passing. Now I have several very large plants indoors and all the baby cuttings have taken. It just goes to show that we shouldn't be greedy. I need to be glad of the ones I still have and not mourn too much for the ones that are no more.

In the next week or so I shall be looking out for frogs coming to the pond, which was also new last year. Over the years I have found that the favourite day for frogs to arrive is March 5th. I don't know why but I have the date in my diary.


This is the little pond where our natural fish lives.  He/she is two years old now. I can't believe that it was two years ago that I went fishing with Dylan and brought the fish home. I only expected it to live for a few days, but here we are two years on and it's doing fine and really big. We also have a lot of pond snails in there and they are doing their job of keeping the sides clean and the water clear. As you can see it is possible to look right down into the water. We have had ice on the top, strong winds and snow but still our little fish survives. I think it might be a minnow. This Spring I'm hoping to find him/her a friend but Dylan is not keen to go fishing because he remembers that last time we went he got stuck in the mud!

Bulbs are coming up in the borders and on the patio. We nearly have one daffodil out.


I'll leave you today with some Spring primulas. Have a great Sunday.


Star



4 comments:

  1. Lovely, Star! Spring is definitely on the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree lovely to see Spring flowers blooming. Everything is still covered in snow here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. March at last thank goodness, hellebores, snowdrops and daffs on the way here in Hampshire. Enjoyed your blog. regards Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Simon. Yes, we have hellebores here too but no daffs as yet. They are nearly there, just not quite!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please don't be shy.