Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Starlight Promotions - 2, I get more involved.

1TXT088
So during the 90's I was bringing up teenagers! three boys! and the house was full of guitars and then came the amplifiers; small ones, large ones and my youngest decided to be a bass player and the most enormous amplifier entered the house. There was music in every room, morning, noon and night only not so much in the morning... These were the days before musical downloads. That was in its infancy and we had a lot of CD's. It was hard to know whose was whose. Where's my  ..... CD was a frequent cry.

Then there were the practises. Lots of them. Friends coming in and going out and trying out new songs. Luckily the house is detached and nobody here took up the drums. I doubt there would have been room for a drum kit although we did have an electric one.

Meanwhile I am getting gigs for all and sundry and I decided to give 'myself' a name and charge commission. So in effect, I became the fifth, sixth or whatever member of the band. I arranged the gigs, took the money and shared it out. I was meticulous with the book-keeping. I was fair to the bands. Entertainment agencies, Estate agencies etc. have a bit of a bad name. I wasn't having any of that. I was quite honest about it and encouraged the musicians to join the musician's union if they hadn't already.

So now I had a set-up. I did most of it by phone. Then I bought a fax machine. Remember those? It was useful at the time. I used the internet and realised that I needed a website. I had no idea about websites then so I did a bit of research on the net. A young lad called Robbie contacted me and offered to make me a website for a reasonable fee.  He was very young, about 16 as I recall. I was amazed at how much he knew. He designed a lovely website for me, mostly blue with pages for all the bands and a contact page - everything I needed at the time.

Then he gave me a playpen so I could practise updating the pages myself.  One of the most important things about a website is that it has to be updated regularly. Nobody wants to read something that appears the same as yesterday. I bought a software programme called Dreamweaver and taught myself how to use it. All exciting stuff.

Once I got the website, things really took off.  I was inundated with demo. discs and biographies from bands, duos and goodness knows what from all over the place. I loved playing the CD's
So now I had three things going on. I was collecting information from the bands, entering it all on a database - I used Lotus 123 and putting it onto my website. I was receiving enquiries from potential customers and sending them details and prices and I was 'mothering the bands' because they aren't really very good at administration, I discovered.

menu1


to be continued ...


2 comments:

  1. You have certainly done some neat things in your lifetime, Star. I think being a manager and maintaining a website is amazing! Now you are a spinner and fantastic knitter and a grandmother! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just seemed to happen D-Jan. I was just being helpful to my kids (I hope) and then it all started taking off.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please don't be shy.