Friday, 19 April 2013

Together again, at last!


Last Wednesday I went down to Heathrow Airport to pick up Millie. She had travelled 4,500 miles to be with me here in England - all the way from Tennessee no less. It was lovely to see her again!

I was expecting to collect her from Airpets at Terminal 5, but in the event, she was waiting at the Animal Reception Centre, which is much nearer to Terminal 4.  The two terminals are a long way from each other so I caught the coach to the Central Bus Station near Terminals 1,2 and 3 and then got a bus from there.

It was rather exciting.  It felt a bit like Christmas! When I got to The Central Bus Station, it was lunch-time so I stopped there and bought some lunch and a newspaper. The paperwork said it could take up to five hours before Millie was checked and cleared for collection so I was prepared for a long wait.  After I'd eaten my sandwich and drunk my drink, I phoned the Reception Centre and they told me that Millie had arrived safely and that they would ring me when she was ready for collection.  I decided not to wait at the Bus Station.  It was very busy there. I thought I might be better waiting at the Reception Centre itself so I asked the lady on the Information Desk which bus I needed to catch to get to Terminal 4. She told me I needed the number 555 and that they ran every 30 minutes.

I caught the next one, at 12.25 and asked the driver if he would drop me off near the animal place. He said there was a bus-stop right outside so I didn't have to walk very far. The Reception Centre itself was being filmed when I got there.  Who knows, I might be on T.V. at some point. There were people waiting in the conservatory waiting area, which was very comfortable.  Everyone was excited and nervous and longing to see their pet again.

While I was waiting, I phoned the taxi firm to arrange for transport home. Millie was in a larger than average cage because that's the way they do it, so I needed a people carrier taxi to accommodate her.
I waited there for 30 minutes or so and then she was brought out to me. She looked a bit scared but I think she recognised me. I know she recognises my voice and all was soon well. A few soothing words goes a long way...

When I got home my son was here, working from home. I left Millie in the cage for half an hour and then let her out to explore the house. She was purring as she looked around. I expect she was glad to be free again although she had been let out 2 or 3 times during the long journey, which started with a 3 1/2 hour car ride from Knoxville to Atlanta.

So far so good, but she still had to meet my English cat, Patch and the neighbourhood terror - The Ghost. More of Millie's adventures next time.

Millie looking out of my window.  "Where the .....! am I?  Oh well, at least I didn't have to go into quarantine!"


  1. I am so glad to hear Millie made it without any problems. I am looking forward to your stories of the adventures of the meeting between the cats and the Ghost! :-)

  2. It's wonderful to be reunited with pets. We brought our two Rotts back from the Ivory Coast and they had to be quarantined near Heathrow for six months. We used to visit them at weekends. Have the quarantine laws changed?

  3. Purrfect result Stella. I do so hope that your Millie settles down quickly and will make friends with the others.
    Like so many animals, a change of home is sometimes scary for them especially when let outdoors for the first time. Hope it all goes well.

  4. can imagine her thinking, there's not much orange around this area where's it all gone ?
    ( A TN Vols country joke ) .
    I remember the trama years ago, when I flew my two yorkies to Denver, only to find them gone when I went to pick them up.
    Happily, one of the kennel staff had taken them home for the night, and returned them the next morning, although it did require us to make two seperate trips to the airport, some sixty odd miles away from where we were stationed in Colorado Springs.
    Glad to see Millie is settled in :)


I love to hear from you. Please don't be shy.