Pages

Saturday, 10 November 2012

Computer Upgrade - Update

I took my computer into PC World to see if I could have some more memory put into it but sadly NO was the answer.  It is a Laptop and the maximum it can have, in terms of RAM (Random Access Memory) is 2 GB's. It is only two year's old!  I looked at the new computers, which all seemed to have at least 8 GB's of R.A.M. in them and noted the prices!!! To get a good one costs £699 or $1117.33.

I was hoping my computer would last four years but now I know it won't. It is almost obsolete already and that is why it is so slow. Two year's ago it cost £400 and I've had the use of it for two years.  At that rate it must be cheaper to rent!

While I was in the shop, looking at all the new products, the man in the clinic, who was ever so helpful, I might add, made some changes to my computer to make it work faster.

He deleted the two other user accounts I had on there.  That means that the programmes load faster because they only have to load in one place.

He altered some of the start-up programmes. I don't need every programme I've got to load on start-up. To do that he had to go into an area of the computer which he said I'd better keep out of. I agree.

Since I had a Mastercare agreement, which runs till October 13th, it didn't cost me anything. If he had been able to add more memory, then I would have had to pay for the memory but not the installation, which I thought was fair.

When I got home I moved all my photos and music onto my external hard-drive, which helped a lot. I also deleted a large graphic's programme, which is obviously too big for this machine to handle.

I know that you mac users out there are thinking 'why doesn't she just go and buy a Mac but the trouble is, if I do that I will have to buy all new software too, won't I. The Apple macs are very expensive too,  Perhaps if I was starting out new and was a lot younger, I would buy an Apple but for me, perhaps not!  Also I know that there are a few problems with updated the operating system on macs.

I deleted I-Tunes.  That is a massive programme and I can do without it.  I shall just use the Windows Media Player from now on and buy my CD's from Amazon.

I'm telling you all this in the hope that the information will be helpful to anyone who is experiencing the same problems as me.  I am very sad that my computer is obsolete and determined to make it last a bit longer. The fault is really with the software programmes and the size of them!  The manufacturers think that the more complicated the programmes are, the more they will sell.  Well, let me tell them that that is not true. Simple is best and I wish we could go back to the way it was. Microsoft is a big culprit.  Word and Excel are now so huge and complicated that you need to be a professor to understand them.  All that most of us wants is an easy-to-use, quick to load programme that doesn't cost the earth.

So my conclusions are:

If you are just starting out - buy an Apple Mac.
If you are buying a computer, look into renting one.
Maybe choose an I-pad instead but that's another subject.
Don't put too many programmes or photos or music on it.
Use an external hard-drive for storage leaving the computer itself free of garbage.
Keep the start-up menu clear.
Only have one user on the computer.

What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. Apple computers ARE more expensive, there's no doubt. The reason I went to one from Microsoft when I retired is that they are nowhere near as vulnerable to viruses. I would also suggest anyone using a PC immediately get another browser such as Firefox and get rid of Internet Explorer as it is also full of holes that hackers love.

    If you have an iPad, you also need an actual computer if you want to protect and download pictures and songs onto it. The iPad is also horrible for entry purposes because you need to buy an external keyboard, and it has no decent word processing program.

    I'm glad you were able to make your PC work for you a while longer. That guy was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have five computers around the house...
    Sadly, none of them are smokin', and yes, always one or two giving trouble.
    I've started storing photos on a Data Traveler, to remove them from my hard drive...it helps.
    They have all kinds of pre Christmas deals on computers these last few days, I'd like to upgrade....again ;)
    Sounds like yours will hold on, a little longer.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. you'd be better to buy one in the States as it's going to cost you a lot less money.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, this information is very helpful. I may have to take a look at my work computer. It is VERY slow! My laptop here at home, is usually used a lot for school work, so I need the Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. I don't keep pictures or music on this either.
    Oh, and I will have to look at my sons computer, he has iTunes and he complains of a few things running slow.

    Glad that helpful tech guy was able to clean up your computer up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina - nice to be of help. I think where I was surprised mostly was when I discovered that even though my computer is only 2 years old, it was already too small in capacity to do what I need it to do. I just assumed that it would be ok for another 2 years or 3 at a push. I now realise that I need to keep going into the store and see what is currently available. It's not my favourite place so I only go there when I have to but in future... I may call in more often. Of course, that's what they want, isn't it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this post i thought i could also make
    comment due to this sensible piece of writing.
    Here is my webpage payday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad you weren’t able to upgrade your hardware. But that guy who helped you was really nice. Also, try to defrag your system so that your files are arranged and you maximize can you virtual memory space.

    - Benita Bolland -

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm.. It seemed that you have too many applications there. And if these files and programs are too big, then your computer won’t be able to handle them. Take Benita’s advice. It’s really efficient to clean out your files and folders. Anyhow, how’s your pregnancy? I hope you’re doing fine and you’re just enjoying it. Take care! :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you’re the type of person who happens to store a lot of files, you should really have an external drive. Likewise, you should remember this simple tip: Do not install an application or program that you don’t normally use. It just fills up space in your PC, which slows down its performance.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please don't be shy.