Pages

Sunday, 5 December 2010

Keeping warm, keeping busy


This has been the view from my back door all week - pretty but not practical!

I hope you can see that the fence on the right-hand side of the garden is now painted and finished?  I still have the left-hand side to do!  I think it looks a lot better in its rich brown colour.


All the shrubs have been trimmed back and re-shaped. They will enjoy renewed vigour in the Spring.



I've tried to keep the path clear, but every time I cleared it, it snowed again!


I've been trying to keep the birds fed.  They appreciate my efforts and it is an effort because just keeping upright is an effort! First I cut up the bread into the right sized pieces; then I measure out the mealworms for the robins to eat.

Every day I change their water and the previous day's water pot comes back in frozen solid.

All this snow outside has given me the opportunity to decorate the kitchen.  I have spent a week of hours, so far, stripping the walls of wallpaper.  Here's how I'm getting on.





I've decided to strip off the paper behind the cooker today but I need a bit of help to move the cooker first.  It's a gas cooker and it's fixed to the wall.  I need a big strong man to move it for me.  Any offers??


When I've done that, I have the awkward area behind the boiler to negotiate.  Lots of twisting and turning.


I know you like to read about my suffering, so I'll tell you that once the paper is all off and the floor cleaned and tidied, I will need to sandpaper down the walls.  Is that enough suffering?

No? well how about a trip to the dentist next Thursday for a root canal treatment? 

Roll on Friday when I get to look after my grandson for the afternoon while his mummy has her hair done.

Have a great Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, tearing off wallpaper is a tedious job, for sure. Still, winter is a great time for it! Good luck with the rest of the project.

    Is now the time for me to cut back my shrubs and such? I'm so clueless about this, Star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How kind you are to feed the Robins meal worms, much too squirmy for a lot of girlies to handle :)
    It's snowing (flurries) here today, in your other neck of the woods, I hope Millie is keeping warm.
    The kitchen will look so grand when you get through, that's a lot of hard work !
    How's Dylan keeping ?
    Stay warm....
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney, it depends which shrubs you have. They are all different. In my garden, I have pruned them all, with my fingers crossed, because I wanted to get at the fence. I don't do that every year. I'm not here every year! but I don't think it will do them any harm. I'll post some pictures again in April time and we'll see how they're doing.
    If you tell me which shrubs you have, I'll tell you whether to prune them or not, if I can.
    Jo: So you've got the snow. Well, you won't care too much so long as you get to your destination. Scotland is terribly bad at the moment. There is snow in our end of Tennessee too according to Larry. Just flurries, not sticking or settling as we say here.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please don't be shy.