Sunday, 14 November 2010

Jasper


 This is my cat Jasper who shared our family for thirteen years from 1985 til 1998. I have often commented on Blogs with ginger cats. I love them, don't know why.  I just love ginger I suppose. Anyway, Jasper was a very special cat. He was the family pet and he grew up with the children.

Here he is catching some shade...


 Having a snooze on the draining board.  You have to understand that this cat ruled the house.
He did whatever he liked whenever he liked and we all loved him SO much.

The little snowman etc. that you can see on top of my yellow colander are the decorations from my Christmas cake that year so the picture must have been taken at the end of December because the cake was all gone and I had set about the task of washing the decorations ready to put away for another year.


He was a very laid back sort of a cat, who didn't worry too much about anything.


 He slept wherever he liked! oh o!


 He ate whatever he liked, whenever he wanted it.


 He liked to wash and kept himself very clean.


Here he is sharing my lap with a tortoise. He looks a little bit put out!


but not for long.  He liked freshly ironed tray mats.

 and telephone leads.


 He loved to drink out of my water jug.


 This was his favourite spot in the garden.


  

When I went looking for him, he was hard to find because he blended in with the toys and the clothes and all the other stuff in the children's bedrooms. It used to remind me of E.T. in the cupboard full of toys - you only saw him when he moved.


 He used to lie down in dangerous places like in the middle of the staircase.


 He loved old people.  This is my friend, Kath.  This was her 82nd birthday. She turned 102 years old this month!.


Then one day Jasper got old himself. He got thyroid disease and he got very thin. His heart beat very fast and he lost his energy.

 He lost the gloss on his fur... look at the difference beween the last picture and this one below.


 and he couldn't clean himself like he used to.

 So one day he just went to sleep. We all miss him very, very much. Below is my last photo of him taken on the day that he died.

But we will never forget our ginger friend.

Jasper died in the autumn of 1998.  In the same season my middle son went to live in Paris, France, at the age of only 21; my youngest son went off to University and I was made redundant from the school where I'd worked for thirteen years.  It was a time of great loss for me.

xxx for Jasper

14 comments:

  1. Jasper was beautiful!
    You are so lucky for having had the opportunity to share your life with such rich God's creature.
    Thank you for sharing your memories with us.
    Hugs and meows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful markings Jasper had. And he had a wonderful life, with you and your family. Wonderful and poignant pictures, my friend. Thank you for sharing Jasper with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Jasper your mum kept telling me how much you looked like my Oliver cat, and now I know why !
    You could be litter mates your coloring and tabby stripes are so alike.
    It seems you had the same traits of sleeping in odd places, I couldn't help but smile to read where you plonked yourself down right in the middle of the stairs, since I am constantly removing my ginger from that spot.
    You were a beautiful gentleman, and were loved beyond your kitty years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jasper was beautiful. For seventeen years I had a white cat with black markings ... her playmate was a ginger furred cat known as Marmalade. I loved them both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your lovely comments people.
    Star

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful and special cat Jasper was. it's so sad to see a special friend like him getting old and sick. I can imagine that year Jasper died, and al those changes came in your life, it must have been a tough year. Lucky you have these pictures and your memories of Jasper.
    Hugs Ester

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that we were reading eachothers posts almoust at the same time...how funny.
    Ik will see if I get that warning too, if I go to her blog.
    Greetings Ester

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a handsome cat he was! Such lovely pictures too. They hold our hearts forever, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story reminds me of KiKi (Coolwhip was his real name), just change the color to white and this story applies to him. RIP, Kiki. RIP, Jasper - we will all meet again someday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful markings. I miss my cat something terrible..but I won't get another one. It hurt terrible when I lost her. At least that is what I say now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. um..that's "terribly"...I MUST start proof reading before I push the button! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a sad story, but lots of lovely memories at the same time. He was a beautiful looking cat.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a ginger cat who looks and acts very much like Jasper did. She especially likes to sit on my hand when I am trying to move my mouse. She is 18 years old this year and still going strong in spite of a major heart murmur since birth.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please don't be shy.